Skill work Tuesday. Build that up that bag of tricks!!
Remember to always listen to your body. If you’re feeling worse for wear sub out one of the tasks today and get some mobility in.
A): Hang Squat Snatch, 1 rep
(set a clock for 10 mins only and find a heavy 1 rep for the day. Does NOT need to be a lifetime PR!!)
– Get those lats active, the bar must stay close to the body.
– At the hang position (1″ above knee) get well over that barbell!
– Violent hip extension, resulting in a fully open hip MUST happen!.
– Remember to use those traps the split second your hips have opened (NOT before!!) and pull UNDER the bar.
– Get rid of the concrete shoes! Move those feet upon landing.
– Be sure to have already locked out your arms (with active shoulders of course) when you receive the bar in the bottom position.
– You must hit below parallel for the rep to count..
– And you must stand it up fully under control, and bring your feet back together before bringing the bar down.
– Don’t get sucked into a game of load. If you overdo it your’ll more than likely be pulling with the arms only (if you are doing this at relatively light weight then you need to scale back and work technique at no more than 50%). Do NOT pull with your biceps!!.
B): Push Press 3 – 3 – 3
(Keep it to no more than 80-85% of 1RM).
NOTES: Midline stability is crucial to any overhead press. Brace, brace, brace!
Really focus on squeezing everything from your toes right up thru to your diaphragm. Have the patience to wait for the bar to “leap” off of the shoulders before you go to punch & press.
These are three working sets, you can build each one from the last as long as form is held. Remember to squeeze those flutes as you are pressing to avoid re-bending the knees, ala the jerk. We should see NO FAILURES in this. 85% top whack (if you fail at this percentage then we need to address the strength endurance side of things).
Warm yourself up with 2-3 sets to get you going then jump in. Rest no more than 3 mins between sets.
Get them shoulders on!! 🙂
– If you need any pointers on this during Open Gym, come grab a coach and we will get you going.